Daventry District Council is considering amending a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO), giving its enforcement officers broader powers to deal with dog owners who fail to properly control their pets in public open spaces across the district. As well as testing those laws already in place, the Council is keen to take advantage of this opportunity to expand the requirements of the existing Public Spaces Protection Order and consult on more innovative ideas which would extend the remit to encompass other pressing local issues that fall within the description of antisocial behaviour. Comments of the Parish Council on the proposals are requested during a statutory consultation period from Tuesday 29th May 2018 to Tuesday 24th July 2018.
The District Council currently enforces five dog control orders that make it an offence for people who:
- Fail to pick up after their dog
- Allow their dog into a designated children’s play area
- Fail to put their dog on a lead when directed to do so by a Council officer
- Fail to keep their dog on a lead within a designated area at Daventry Country Park
- Fail to have the means to pick up after their dog.
It is considering introducing nine additional new powers, which aim to enhance the Council’s ability to deal with irresponsible dog owners. These changes include:
- Dogs should always be on a lead in graveyards, cemeteries or memorial gardens
- Dogs should always be kept on leads near schools
- Dogs should always be kept on leads in built up areas
- Dogs should be excluded from playing areas of marked and maintained sports pitches (in season)
- A defined lead length and type of lead is to be used in areas where a dog should be on a lead
- A restriction on the number of dogs to be walked at any one time
- Prohibition of smoking from defined children’s play areas
- Introduce DNA restricted areas of public space
- Delegation of enforcement powers to parish councils
The District Council are currently consulting with parish councils who wish to consider adopting powers currently used by the District Council’s dog wardens.
Representations can be made to Daventry District Council by completing the online feedback form, which can be accessed on the council website www.daventrydc.gov.uk/consultation or by writing to the Environmental Improvement Team, Daventry District Council, Lodge Road, Daventry Northants, NN11 4FP.
Details can be also be downloaded here